December 15, 2012
Happy Birthday Ray! Inspired by a classic photo of Ray and Charles on a motorcycle, a group of eighteen rode their bikes from Glendale to Venice in honor of Ray’s 100th birthday. After stopping at various Eamesian locations, the group celebrated at the Eames House with cake and good wishes. Back in Glendale, they capped the day by creating art around their experience. A perfect celebration of the Ray and Charles!
Their group leader worked with us to develop the following trip map:
- 10:00 (START) — Glory Motor Works / Subvecta Motus Gallery, Glendale.
- 10:30 — Highland Hotel, 1921 North Highland Avenue, Hollywood, 90068. (Ray & Charles’ hotel for two months after moving to LA in 1941.)
- 11:00 — Original Herman Miller Showroom, 8806 Beverly Boulevard, LA. (Showroom designed by Ray and Charles Eames in 1949.)
- 11:30 — Strathmore Apartment, designed by Richard Neutra in 1937, 11005 Strathmore Drive, Westwood. (The Eameses’ first apartment and workshop in LA from 1942 to 1949, where they developed Plyformed Wood Company.)
- 12:00 – 1:00 — Current Herman Miller Showroom, 3641 Holdrege Avenue, Culver City.
- 1:30 — Office of Charles and Ray Eames, 901 Washington Boulevard (now Abbot Kinney), Venice. (The Eameses shared the space with Evans beginning in 1943, then with Herman Miller; the Eameses took over the entire space in 1958 when production was moved to Herman Miller’s Michigan facilities.)
- 2:00 – 3:00 — Eames Office (2007 to 2014), 850 Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica.
- 3:30 – 4:30 — Eames House (1949 to present), 203 Chautauqua Boulevard, Pacific Palisades.